For more information, or to ask any questions, on this or any of our location workshops, please join the Location Lighting Workshop Facebook group. New events will be announced there as they are confirmed, along with payment information.
The Location Nude Workshop is a one day photography workshop taking place outdoors on location from 10:00am until 5pm.
This workshop will help you understand how to photograph the female form using ambient light and flash, both individually, as well as simultaneously to either complement the natural lighting of the scene or to completely change the way it would otherwise look.
The first part of the day will cover some basic instruction on the various equipment options, some discussion of the techniques and principles of using both natural light and flash on location, and how to prepare yourself and your subject for a location shoot. After a break for lunch, the rest of the day will be spent putting those principles and techniques into practise, with the assistance of a model, in order to understand how different decisions will affect your photography.
It is not essential that you attend any of our other workshops before participating in this one, however this workshop is slightly more advanced and it may be of benefit to have attended our Off Camera Flash Workshop.
While there is some overlap between location and studio work, shooting on location presents many unique challenges and situations that simply don’t exist in a more controlled studio environment. As a result some flash related topics won’t be covered as extensively as they are in a studio based workshop.
Lunch will be provided. If the weather is cooperative, we will setup a barbecue with enough burgers and sausages to go around, along with appropriate veggies and condiments. Obviously, we cannot rely on the British weather being cooperative all the time, in which case sandwiches will be made available. If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know in advance.
What you will learn
On any location shoot, more important than the equipment you take with you is how, and how well, you prepare.
- Knowing your location
- Anticipating the unexpected
- Planning contingencies
- Essential supplies for you and your subject
- Prepping your subject to know what to expect
Then, onto the photography side.
- How to see and understand the natural light of the environment
- How to envison the shot in your head and know what you want to capture before you press the shutter
The two points above are really the most basic fundamental aspects of shooting on location, and will affect pretty much every decision you make about lighting.
- Metering and interpreting the scene before you
- Balancing ambient light with flash
- Assisting and enhancing the ambient light with the use of reflectors
- How to Overpower ambient light with flash
- Using softboxes, diffusers and other modifiers to alter the light to achieve a different look
- Using grids, snoots and other devices to focus your light
- Shooting outdoor nudes under difficult natural lighting conditions
- Backlighting your subjects and dealing with specular highlights
- Differences when dealing with lighter or darker skintones
We will also cover various other topics and techniques that will be appropriate to the conditions on the day.
What you need to bring
- Your DSLR and a selection of lenses. We suggest Nikon or Canon. Other brands of digital camera, as well as film cameras, may also work, however we can not guarantee compatibility with our flash systems.
- A notepad and pen
Optionally, if you have any of the following, and wish to bring them along, please feel free to do so.
- As mentioned above, lunch is provided, but please make sure you bring snacks and drinks to keep you going throughout the day
How much does it cost?
The price of this workshop is £139 per person with a minimum of 6 students, and maximum of 8. As mentioned above, lunch is included, so please let us know beforehand if you have any specific dietary requirements or food allergies.
A very enjoyable day, learned loads and got images in the bag too. Highly recommended from me and will definitely be going on another course that he runs.
Below are the currently scheduled dates for this workshop. To confirm your place, please use the buttons below to pay either a deposit, in full.
Cancellation & Deposits
A 50% deposit is required to secure your placement. Please see our workshop cancellation policy for more information.